- 1 ounce apple brandy
- 1 ounce blended scotch
- .25 ounces ginger syrup (see tips section)
- 1 teaspoon rich demerara syrup (see tips section)
- 4 dashes pimento (allspice) dram
- 1 dash bitters
- 2 grinds black peppercorn
- Candied ginger
- Combine the first seven ingredients in a stirring vessel and add ice, stirring until the ingredients are incorporated and the mixture is chilled.
- Strain over fresh ice and garnish with candied ginger (when available).
- To make the ginger syrup, soak raw ginger in warm water and peel it (the back of a spoon works really well). Run peeled raw ginger through an extractor. Strain ginger juice and add sugar. Stir until incorporated.
- To make the demerara syrup, boil water and then remove from heat. Add sugar and stir until fully incorporated.
For apple brandy, Sean Hoard (the bartender who created this recipe) uses Bonded Lairds Applejack. For Scotch whiskey, he prefers Famous Grouse Blended Scotch and for bitters, he suggests Angostura Bitters.
Ginger Syrup: Equal parts cane sugar and ginger juice (by volume)
Rich Demerara Syrup: 2 parts demerara sugar to 1 part warm water (by volume)