Hungarian Cheese Latkes
Enjoy this Hanukkah stable by Lily Serviansky.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 6 tablespoons large-curd cottage cheese
- 3/4 to 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Mix the eggs and the sugar in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Add the cheeses 3/4 cup of the flour, and salt. Process until smooth.
- Heat a nonstick frying pan (any size) and pour in a film of vegetable oil. To test the thickness of the batter drop about 4 tablespoons into the pan and fry for a few minutes on each side. Do not worry if some of the batter spills out of the pancakes. Just scrape off the excess. If the batter seems too liquid, add flour. When the consistency is correct, continue frying all the pancakes, a few at a time.
- Drain on a paper towel and serve with a dollop of whipped cream, a spoonful of jam, or a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar.