Indian Spiced Lentil Soup
Try this lentil soup with curry powder, tumeric, ginger, jalapenos, and crushed tomatoes for a vegan soup recipe. Food blogger Sarah Spigelman of Fritos and Foie Gras shares this soup recipe from a collection of carnivore tested, vegan approved recipes.
- 1 pound lentils
- 2 boxes vegetable stock (32 fl oz)
- 1 large can crushed tomatoes (28 oz)
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 onions, diced
- 4 tbsp. curry powder
- 1 tbsp. turmeric
- 2 tsp. fenugreek
- 3 dried curry leaves
- 2 tbs. minced ginger
- 2 jalapenos, diced
- 2 tbs. sugar
- vegetable oil, salt, pepper to taste
- Sauté the onion, garlic and curry leaves in a large stockpot over medium-high heat until the veggies turn translucent.
- Add the jalapenos and continue to sauté for 10 minutes.
- Rinse the lentils thoroughly; running your fingers through the lentils to make sure that there is no grit or bad lentil hiding in there.
- You can pick out any “bad” lentils you see, but you mostly just want to rinse the lentils until the water runs clear.
- Now add all of your dry spices.
- Remove the curry leaves and discard.
- Add the can of crushed tomatoes.
- Add the vegetable stock.
- Add the lentils. Turn up the heat to bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium and let the dish simmer for 30 minutes, or until it has thickened considerably and the lentils are tender.