- 2 lbs. garden-ripe tomatoes (about 4 large) sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 lb. fresh buffalo mozzarella sliced1/4-inch thick
- 1/4 cup packed fresh basil leaves washed and dried
- 3-4 tablespoons good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon aged balsamic vinegar
- finely ground sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- On a large platter overlap and alternate tomatoes, mozzarella slices and basil leaves (if desired, julienne the leaves).
- Drizzle with oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper and serve.
- Note: In addition to perfectly ripe tomatoes, a good mozzarella is key. Try to find buffalo mozzarella, which has the best flavor and texture for this salad.