- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can whole tomatoes in purée (28 ounces)
- 1 ¼ pounds small white potatoes (scrubbed)
- 1 large onion (cut into 8 wedges)
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried and crumbled)
- 3 lbs. beef chuck roast (trimmed and halved crosswise)
- 4 garlic cloves
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- With a sharp paring knife, cut 4 slits in beef roast; stuff slits with half the garlic.
- Generously season beef with 1 ½ teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over high heat, swirling to coat bottom of pan. Cook beef until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- In a 5-quart slow cooker, combine beef, onion, potatoes, tomatoes (with purée), rosemary, and remaining garlic. Cover; cook on high setting until meat is fork-tender, about 6 houors (do not uncover while cooking).
- Transfer meat to a cutting board; thinly slice, and discard any gristle. Skim fat from top of sauce. To serve, divide beef and vegetables among bowls; generously spoon sauce over.