Italian Sausage Southern Cornbread Dressing
This recipe can be prepared ahead of time and baked the next day.
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 pre-made cornbread
- 4 slices dry wheat bread, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- ½ cup dried cherries
- ½ cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage
- 1 ½ tablespoons dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried rubbed sage
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 ½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Place the sausage in a large skillet over medium heat and cook, stirring frequently, until the meat is crumbled and is no longer pink inside. Drain the fat and set the meat aside.
- Slice the cornbread into small cubes and crumble slightly.
- In a very large bowl or a roasting pan, combine the cornbread, wheat bread, onion, celery, dried cherries, and golden raisins.
- Add fresh and dried sage and the thyme, rubbing the dry herbs between your hands to release their flavor and aroma.
- In a small bowl, whip the eggs with a fork and stir in the broth. Pour most of the egg mixture into the cornbread mixture, and toss well to moisten.
- Add the remaining broth if the dressing appears too dry. Spoon the mixture into a large, lightly greased casserole dish, cover with foil, and bake 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Uncover and bake 10 to 15 minutes more to brown the top of the dressing. If desired, the dressing may be assembled 1 day ahead, covered, and chilled overnight before baking.
- To bake, remove the dressing from the refrigerator, set it aside 30 minutes to come to room temperature, and bake as described above.
Learn to make this southern classic comfort food.
- 2 1/3 cups flour
- 1 2/3 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 ¾ cups milk
- ½ cup canola oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and stir in the milk and oil. Stir the milk mixture into the flour mixture and stir just until it is mixed.
- Pour the cornbread batter into a lightly greased 9- by 13- inch baking pan. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the middle of the cornbread comes out clean. Remove the cornbread from the oven and set it aside to cool. Cornbread may be made 1 or 2 days ahead.
Cook Time: 20 Minutes