Jamaican Jerk Chicken Drumsticks
Combine scotch bonnet peppers and ground allspice for a mildly spicy dinner idea. Pair with mashed sweet potatoes to balance the flavors. Food blogger Jenna Weber explains the alternatives for different types of peppers in a full post on the Fresh Tastes blog.
- 2 lbs chicken drumsticks, skin on
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp allspice
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¾ tsp ground cloves
- 3 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, seeded
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 large yellow onion, quartered
- Place all ingredients except for the chicken in the food processor and process until well combined.
- Place chicken drumsticks in a large plastic bag and pour jerk marinade over. Seal bag tightly and toss well. Place in the fridge for four to six hours (or overnight).
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Spray an eight-inch square cooking dish with nonstick spray then line with chicken. Spoon more marinade over top and rub in as best you can.
- Bake chicken for 45 minutes, or until juice runs clear. Serve with black beans and rice or, as I like to, with mashed sweet potatoes.