Jambalaya New Orleans-style
Throughout the month of March, PBS KIDS will showcase games, printable activities, and learning resources that shine a spotlight on global cultures. Keep up with the latest around-the-world adventures on PBS KIDS and if you liked these dishes, try making more rice and noodle dishes.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ounces andouille sausage, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 (15-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay or Cajun seasoning
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and bell peppers and season with salt and pepper. Next, add the garlic then stir in andouille sausage, garlic, and tomato paste and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
- Add chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, rice, and Old Bay. Reduce heat to medium low, cover with a tight fitting lid, and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is almost absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Lastly, garnish with green onions or stir-in just before serving! Enjoy!