Judy Garland’s Vegetable Salad
Learn more about Judy Garland's life and her affinity for this vegetable salad recipe on The History Kitchen blog.
- Salad Ingredients:
- 2 hearts of romaine, chopped
- 1 endive, sliced
- 1 cup chopped watercress leaves
- 3 carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 tomatoes, cored and diced
- ½ cup olives, pitted and quartered
- ½ cup peas, frozen or fresh – if fresh, steam lightly then chill, if frozen let thaw under cool running water
- Dressing Ingredients:
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup vinegar (I used champagne vinegar)
- 1 tsp salt (I used 1 1/2 tsp)
- 1 tsp sugar (I used 2 tsp for a slightly sweeter dressing)
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp minced fresh garlic
- Combine salad ingredients in a bowl.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients, or shake them in a clean bottle. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Whisk or shake again, let rest for 5 minutes.
- Whisk or shake again, then pour over the salad. This makes a lot of dressing—you may wish to start by adding half to the salad, then add more to taste after tossing, to avoid “drowning” the salad in dressing.
- Use clean hands to toss the salad ingredients with the dressing, making sure all ingredients are evenly coated with dressing. Serve.
Tips/TechniquesYou will also need: large salad bowl, whisk and small bowl or clean dressing bottle