Recipe By Kim O'Donnel from the book “The Meat Lover’s Meatless Cookbook”
Put down those potato chips and try this healthy snack while you are watching TV!
(Photo Credit: Myra Kohn)
Yield: 4 sandwiches or a bowl of TV snacks
- 1 bunch (4 to 5 cups) Lacinato kale (also sold as Dinosaur kale)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- With a sharp knife, remove the stem and middle rib of each kale leaf so that all you have left are leaves. Wash the leaves, then dry thoroughly, preferably in a salad spinner. With a knife, cut the leaves into small pieces (ideally 3 inches long, 2 inches wide).
- Transfer the leaves to a medium-size mixing bowl and add the olive oil, salt and red pepper flakes (if using). With your hand, coat leaves with the seasonings; the leaves will glisten a bit.
- Place the kale in a single layer on a baking sheet, giving the leaves plenty of room to roast. Cook for 8 minutes, maybe a few seconds more. Remove from the oven and enjoy.
- Best eaten within 24 hours, stored in a paper bag.