- 250 grams (8.8 ounces) water spinach
- 35 grams shallot (1 large) peeled and trimmed
- 11 grams garlic (2 cloves) peeled and trimmed
- 2 or 3 red chili peppers (to taste)
- 20 grams (0.7 ounces) dried shrimp
- 10 grams (0.35 ounces) belacan (loosely packed tablespoon)
- 4 grams (0.15 ounces) gula melaka (palm sugar)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Wash, trim and cut the kangkung into 4 segments.
- Put the shallot, garlic, chili peppers, dried shrimp, belacan, and gula melaka in a mortar and pound with a pestle until it forms a chunky paste. You can also pulse them in a food processor.
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan or wok until hot. Add the shrimp mixture and saute until fragrant and dark brown. Add the kangkung and 2 tablespoons of water and cover the pan with a lid.
- Steam for 1 minute and then remove the lid. Toss the vegetables and shrimp together until they're evenly distributed.
- Serve immediately.