Kewa-Datsee (Cheesy Potato Curry)
Lidia Bastianich learns about the recipes immigrants bring with them to the United States when she visits a swearing-in ceremony at Thomas Jefferson's Monticello, in Lidia Celebrates America: Freedom & Independence on PBS.
- 4 medium potatoes, cut into ¼-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, sliced or chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced or pressed
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and sliced (5 or more with their seeds intact for true Bhutanese flavor)
- 1 tomato, diced into 1-inch pieces
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons each of crumbled cheese (feta and pepperjack)
- Can also add other vegetables like green beans, cauliflower, cabbage, etc., cut into small pieces, to be added with “rest of ingredients”
- Add the sliced potatoes with just enough water to cover it in a small pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add oil and salt to taste.
- Cook covered or uncovered for about 15 minutes.
- Once the potatoes turn transparent, add the rest of the ingredients, except the green onions and cheese.
- Cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add the cheese and top it off with green onions.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Serve with rice.
Tips/TechniquesThis recipe is provided by Kezang Namgyal.