Kimchi Grilled Cheese
Combine crunchy fermented Korean vegetables with nutty, melted comté for a delicious sandwich.
(Recipe Courtesy: Marc Matsumoto from the Fresh Tastes Blog)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 slices sandwich bread
- 1.8 ounces (50 grams) comté cheese, sliced with a vegetable peeler
- 2.1 ounces (60 grams) kimchi, squeezed well
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- Use a pastry brush to evenly brush the olive oil onto one side of both slices of bread, making sure to get the edges around the crust as well.
- Flip one slice of bread over (to expose the un-oiled side) and then spread half the cheese on the bread.
- Top with the squeezed kimchi and scallion, and then cover with the remaining cheese.
- Place the other piece of bread on top to make a sandwich, with the oiled side facing outwards.
- Put the sandwich in a heavy bottomed frying pan and then stick another very heavy frying pan (like a cast iron skillet) on top to press the sandwich down.
- Turn on the stove to medium, and let the sandwich fry until the bottom is golden brown and crisp.
- Remove the weight, flip the sandwich over and then put the weight back on. Fry until the second side is golden brown.
- Slice in half and serve immediately.