Kimchi Rice Sandwich
With buns made from rice and a filling made of stir-fry pork and kimchi, kimchi rice sandwiches are a cool combo to eat. (Recipe Credit: Marc Matsumoto of Fresh Tastes.)
Prep time: 10 Minutes
Cook time: 30 Minutes
Total time: 40 Minutes
Yield: 2 sandwiches
- 11.3 ounces cooked short-grain rice (sushi rice)
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon mirin
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil
- 3.5 ounces pork (sliced as thinly as possible)
- 3.5 ounces kimchi
- 1 scallion (finely chopped)
- To make the rice "buns" line a 3 to 4-inch mold with plastic wrap and then press 1/4 of the rice into the mold, pressing down to make the rice hold together.
- Make the glaze for the rice by whisking together the soy sauce and mirin and get a brush ready to brush the rice.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of toasted sesame oil in a 12-inch frying pan and then add the rice patties. Fry on one side until the rice has browned.
- When the rice is browned on one side, flip and fry the other side. Use a pastry brush to glaze the rice.
- While the rice browns, heat a second small frying pan until hot. Add the vegetable oil and pork and fry until the pork is half cooked. Add the kimchi and stir-fry until the pork is fully cooked.