Lidia Bastianich celebrates Philippine independence and learns about Filipino food and culture in Lidia Celebrates America: Freedom & Independence on PBS. This recipe is provided by by Melba Tan.
- 3 pounds kingfish or tuna (cleaned, boneless, filet, cubed)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup grated ginger
- ¼ cup minced green pepper
- ¼ cup minced red onion
- 1 cup coconut vinegar
- 1 can coconut milk
- Clean and rinse the fish and dry with paper towels.
- Add salt to the fish and let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Add half of the ginger to the fish mixture.
- Add the vinegar, mix, and let sit for at least 5-8 minutes or until fish starts to get opaque.
- Drain most of the vinegar.
- Add the coconut milk, and salt to taste.