Korean-Style Grilled Beef
Don't feel confined to the usual steaks, chops and kebabs when grilling. Shake things up with Marc Matsumoto's recipe for Korean-style grilled beef in a full post on the Fresh Tastes blog.
Yield: 4-6 small servings
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup soju (or sake)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons pureed kiwifruit (about 1/2 kiwifruit)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 3 large cloves garlic, grated
- 2 scallions, minced
- Lettuce and kimchi for serving
- 2 pounds beef (short ribs or other cut suitable for grilling)
- Add the soy sauce, soju, honey, kiwifruit, sesame oil, ginger, garlic and scallions to a Ziploc bag. Seal the bag and mix until all the ingredients are combined. Add the beef to the bag and marinate for at least one day.
- Grill the beef over medium high heat. If the fire is too hot, the beef will burn because of the sugars in the marinade. If you don’t have a grill you can also do this in a broiler or a hot cast iron skillet with some oil.
- After the meat is cooked to your desired doneness, let it rest for a few minutes, then slice it up. Serve with lettuce leaves and kimchi to make wraps.