Try a delicious traditional Greek dessert, provided by the Atsas family, from PBS Food's Lidia Celebrates America; Part 2: A Greek Orthodox Baptism in Ohio.
- 1 lb. unsalted butter
- 1 lb. shortening
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons Ouzo
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 cups crushed, toasted almonds
- 8 cups flour
- Powdered sugar
- Beat butter, shortening, granulated sugar, egg yolk, and Ouzo.
- Mix in baking powder, 1cup flour, and the almonds.
- Continue to slowly add more flour just until the dough pulls away from the bowl and is firm to shape.
- Shape cookies.
- Bake at 350° F, until golden.
- Let cookies cool completely, then coat with powdered sugar.