Lamb Meatballs with Roasted Peppers and Farm Fresh Egg
Spicy Moroccan meatballs
- Ras el Hanout (Moroccan Seasoning) Ingredients:
- 6 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fennel seed
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 2 whole nutmegs
- 60 threads saffron
- 4 1/2 teaspoons mace
- 3 cinnamon sticks about three inches long
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 4 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 8 cloves
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons dried mint
- Meatballs Ingredients:
- 2 ounces bread crust removed and diced
- 1 cup lamb stock
- 8 ounces ground lamb
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon fresh flat leaf parsley roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh mint roughly chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 2 red bell peppers roasted and juilienned
- 1/2 cup lamb stock
- 1 teaspoon ras el hanout
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon cilantro roughly chopped
- In two separate skillets over medium heat, toast the black pepper and fennel until fragrant, about 3-5 minutes.
- Put black pepper, fennel, and the rest of the ingredients in a spice mill and process until finely ground.
- Pass mixture through tamis or fine-mesh sieve and discard solids.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Soak bread in 1 cup of lamb stock for 15 minutes. Next, squeeze as much liquid out of the bread as possible. Set bread aside.
- In a large bowl, add lamb, one egg, bread, cinnamon, parsley, cilantro, mint, onions, and salt and mix until uniformly combined.
- Take a small amount of the meat mixture and shape it into a small ball about the size of a golf ball. Repeat with the remaining mixture to make about 16 meatballs.
- Place a large sauté pan over medium-high heat and heat the olive oil and butter. Sear the meatballs until evenly browned all over.
- Add peppers, lamb stock, and ras el hanout. Bring to a boil and cook a few minutes to reduce the liquid.
- Make room for the eggs in the pan and crack them into the spaces between the meatballs.
- Lower the heat and cover the pan. Cook for about 3 minutes or until eggs are just set. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro and serve in pan.