Lasagna with Fresh Tomatoes and Basil
Bring a little bit of Italy into your kitchen with this lovely lasagna!
- 3 shallots
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 7 cups chopped tomato
- 2/3 cup fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 12 cooked lasagna noodles
- 3/4 cup shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Preheat the over to 375F.
- Slice 4 garlic cloves.
- Chop 3 shallots.
- Chop 7 cups of tomatoes.
- Drizzle olive oil into pot and cook garlic and then shallots for about 10 minutes or until tender.
- Add tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1.5 hrs or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat. Sprinkle in 3/4 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. pepper. Taste to check. If tomatoes aren't in season (summertime) add a little sugar to the sauce while it cooks. Stir in 2/3 cup basil.
- Heat 2 cups of ricotta. Add 1 cup mozzarella. Cook and stir until melted.
- Add 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. pepper.
- Drizzle baking dish with olive oil.
- Layer the lasagna. Start with one layer of sauce, followed by one layer of pasta noodles, then spread ricotta and mozzarella. Repeat twice. Top with shredded Parmesan cheese. The more the better!
- Bake at 375F for 15 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Remove from oven and let sit for a few minutes, then enjoy!