Leek and Mushroom Grilled Cheese
Let this leek and mushroom grilled cheese literally melt in your mouth. (Recipe Credit: Adrianna Adarme of Fresh Tastes)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, plus more for grilled cheese
- 1 leek, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 3 ounces of mushrooms, sliced
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup of grated Gouda cheese
- Bread of choice
- To a medium skillet, set over medium heat, add the olive oil and butter. when the butter is melted, add the leeks and a few pinches of salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently for another 7 minutes, until the mushrooms have cooked down. Stir in the crushed red pepper and Dijon mustard. Transfer to a bowl.
- To assemble the grilled cheese, add a few spoonfuls of the leek mixture to one half of bread. Top with a liberal handful of cheese. To a medium skillet, set over medium heat, add a tablespoon of butter. When melted, add the grilled cheese and cover with a lid. Cook until lightly golden brown on the first side, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook on the opposite side for about 3 minutes. Slice and serve.