Lemon Bundt Cake with Lemon Syrup
This lemon bundt cake recipe appears in the "Bundt Cakes" episode of Martha Bakes.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for pan
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest and 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- For Lemon Syrup:
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 12-cup bundt pan. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, lemon zest, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and granulated sugar on medium-high until light and fluffy, 4 to 5 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition; mix in lemon juice.
- With mixer on low, alternately add flour mixture sour cream, and lemon juice, beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix just until incorporated (do not over mix). Spoon batter into prepared pan, and smooth top with a rubber spatula. Firmly tap pan on a work surface to level batter.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean; 55 to 60 minutes (if cake browns too quickly, tent loosely with aluminum foil). Let cake cool in pan 30 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool completely. (To store, wrap cake in plastic, and keep at room temperature, up to 3 days.) Poke holes all over the cooled cake, and brush with lemon syrup. If the cake does not absorb all the syrup at once, allow to sit about 20 minutes before continuing to brush with any remaining syrup.
- For the Lemon Syrup: Combine ingredients in a small saucepan. Over medium heat, whisk the mixture until all the sugar has dissolved.