Make Martha Stewart's Lemon-Cornmeal Cake recipe from the Naturally Gluten-Free episode of Martha Bakes.
Yield: Makes one 9-inch cake
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for pan
- ½ cup milk
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 ½ cups raw almonds, finely chopped
- 1 cup natural cane sugar
- 1 cup fine yellow cornmeal
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Oil a 9-inch springform pan. In a bowl, combine milk and lemon juice; let stand until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- In a food processor, pulse almonds, cane sugar, and zest until finely ground. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Stir in cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add oil, eggs, and almond extract to milk mixture, and whisk until combined. Stir into cornmeal mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake, rotating pan halfway through, until cake is golden and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Unmold and dust with confectioners’ sugar just before serving. (Cake can be kept, covered, at room temperature up to 2 days.)
Tips/TechniquesReprinted from A New Way to Bake: Classic Recipes Updated with Better-for-You Ingredients from the Modern Pantry by the Editors of Martha Stewart Living. Copyright © 2017 by Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, Inc. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC.