- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all purpose flour (spooned and leveled) plus more for rolling
- 2 table spoons granulated sugar for sprinkling
- 4 ounces bar cream cheese room temperature
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest 9from 1 lemon)
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on high speed, beat butter, confectioners' sugar, lemon zest, and salt, until combined. With mixer on low, add flour 9dough will still be stiff); finish mixing with a wooden spoon.
- Turn dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap, pat into a disk about 1/4 inch thick. Wrap, and chill until firm, about 1 hour (and up to 3 days).
- Unwrap dough; place on a lightly floured piece of parchment or waxed paper. With a lightly floured rolling pin, roll dough about 1/8 inch thick (if dough cracks, let it warm up slightly).
- Cut out cookies with a 1 1/2-inch round cutter (re-roll scraps once, chilling of too soft). Place 1 inch apart on two baking sheets; sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake until barely beginning to brown, 15 to 20 minutes; transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Form sandwiches: Place about 1 teaspoon Creamy Lemon Filling between two cookies, sugared sides facing out; squeeze gently.
- Creamy Lemon Filling: In a small bowl, mix cream cheese and zest until smooth. Gradually add 1 cup confectioners' sugar, missing until smooth. Mix in remaining sugar as necessary to create a firm but spreadable filling.