Lentil and Root Vegetable Soup
Recipe by Aran Goyoaga, but Alice Currah of SavorySweetLife.com shares this recipe. See the full post at Kitchen Explorers.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 1 turnip diced
- 2 parsnips peeled and diced
- 1 sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1/4 red kuri squash peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 chorizo sliced
- 1 qt chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup French lentils or any other kind you like
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 5 springs of thyme
- Rinse the lentils and cover them with water. Let them soak for about 4 hours. It’s not completely necessary but I find that they cook faster and are better for digestion.
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic, onion, carrot and celery and cook them for about 5 minutes. We don’t want to caramelize them, just sweat them.
- Add the tomato paste, chorizo and rest of vegetable and cook them for another 2 minutes. Add the chicken stock, water, thyme, lentils, pepper and salt. Stir and bring this to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover the pot and let the lentils cook for about 45 minutes until tender. Adjust seasoning to your taste and serve with your favorite gluten-free (or not) bread, cheese toast or plain.