- 3 strips bacon (3 ounces) cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 medium carrots peeled, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1/4-inch half-moons
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups lentils picked over and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth (3 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- If soup becomes too thick during cooking, add up to one cup more water.
- In a Dutch oven (or other 5-quart pot with a tight-fitting lid), cook bacon medium-low heat until browned and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat.
- Add onion and carrots; cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomato paste, and cook 1 minute.
- Add lentils, thyme, broth, and 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer. Cover; cook until lentils are tender, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Serve immediately.
Nutrition InfoPer serving: 346 calories; 4.3 grams fat; 26.1 grams protein; 54.1 grams carbohydrates; 24.7 grams fiber