Light-as-a-Feather Apple Fritters
Aviva Goldfarb of The Six O'Clock Scramble shares this recipes. See the full post at Kitchen Explorers.
Prep time: 30 Minutes
Total time: 36 Minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 4 apples peeled, cored and cut into small dice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tbsp. Splenda (or sugar if your diet allows)
- 2 large eggs separated
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- Nonstick cooking spray (can use 1 Tbsp. butter or oil)
- Sugar-free maple syrup (optional) (or powdered sugar if your diet allows)
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and Splenda. In a small mixing bowl, beat together the egg yolks and milk. Stir the egg mixture into the dry ingredients, then fold in the apples.
- With an electric mixer in a medium-size mixing bowl beat the egg whites on high until they form stiff peaks. Carefully fold into the fritter mixture.
- Coat a 12-inch nonstick skillet or griddle with cooking spray (or use 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil or butter) and heat over medium-high until a drop of fritter batter sizzles immediately. Drop tablespoonfuls of the batter 2 inches apart and cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer the fritters to a warm platter and continue with the remaining batter.
- Serve warm with sugar-free maple syrup, if desired, or powdered sugar.
For more information, check out this cool site for kids with diabetes from The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation International: http://kids.jdrf.org/
Nutrition InfoNutrition per serving: Calories 117, Calories from fat 13, Total fat 1.5g, Saturated fat .5g, Cholesterol, 53 mg, Sodium 67 mg., Carbohydrate 23g, Dietary fiber 1g, Sugars 7g, Protein 4g.