Lighter Macaroni and Cheese
This lower fat version of macaroni and cheese is popular with kids and adults. Serve it with steamed broccoli. Aviva Goldfarb of The Six O'Clock Scramble shares this recipe. See the full post at Kitchen Explorers.
Prep time: 20 Minutes
Cook time: 25 Minutes
Yield: 8 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each
- 16 ounces macaroni whole wheat or regular
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth (or one 14.5 oz. can plus 1 1/2 oz. of water)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder (such as Coleman’s)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 Tbsp. bread crumbs or panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 1 – 2 tsp. olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees (unless you plan to bake the casserole later). Spray a 2-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. In a large pot, cook the macaroni for 6-8 minutes (or just a minute less than directed on the box for whole wheat noodles) and drain it thoroughly.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and stir it for a minute. Add the broth and mustard and whisk thoroughly. Simmer it for a few minutes, until the pasta is done. Reduce the heat to low and add the Cheddar cheese to the saucepan, stirring until it melts. Add the cooked macaroni and mix thoroughly.
- For the topping, mix the Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs or panko together, then stir in the olive oil to bind the topping a bit. Put the macaroni mixture in the casserole dish and sprinkle the topping over the casserole. (At this point you can refrigerate it for up to a day until you are ready to bake it, or you can cook it and serve or freeze it.)
- Bake it, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes, until it is lightly browned on top. (While the casserole cooks, prepare the broccoli.)