Loaded Potato Chowder
Chowder power! Whip up delicious dinner in a snap with this loaded potato chowder recipe. Alice Currah of SavorySweetLife.com shares the full post at Kitchen Explorers.
Prep time: 10 Minutes
Cook time: 20 Minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry or white wine
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups half and half
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 large Russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- chopped chives
- Cut the uncooked bacon in small pieces. Heat a heavy pan and fry the bacon pieces until crisp. Remove the bacon bits to a plate lined with a paper towel. Take a paper towel and soak up all but 2 tablespoons of bacon grease and discard.
- Saute the onion, garlic, and thyme for 5 minutes until the onion is soft and tender. Stir in the dry sherry and cook for 2 minutes. Add the chicken broth, half and half, and bouillon. Bring the broth to a boil. Add the potatoes and reduce the heat to a low simmer. Cover the pot and allow the soup to cook for 20 minutes stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- To serve the soup, top each bowl with a couple spoonfuls of shredded cheese, sour cream, bacon pieces, and chives.