Lobster Mashed Potatoes
Enjoy this decadent side dish of lobster mashed potatoes with onions and garlic and outshine the main dish.
- 8 ounces Yukon Gold potatoes (peeled)
- 8 ounces Idaho Russet potatoes (peeled)
- 6 ounces parsnips (peeled)
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche
- 1 head garlic
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 each 1 1/4 pounds live Maine lobsters
- 1 tablespoons reduced lobster stock
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup each celery white onion, carrot (diced for mire piox)
- Bring large pot of water to rapid boil.
- Cut claw bands loose on lobsters - let relax at least 10 minutes. Drop lobsters in boiling water, head first.
- Cook approximately 8 minutes. Remove from water and let cool.
- Clean lobsters and dice meat. Return lobster carcass to large pot. Add mire piox, wine, and 1 quart water.
- Simmer on low heat for 45 to 60 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Strain remaining liquid through chinoix (fine mesh strainer).
- Reduce liquid over low heat in small sauce pan until consistency is syrupy. Let cool at room temperature.
- Boil potatoes and parsnips separately until tender.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Slice off top of garlic head exposing tops of cloves. Rub whole head of garlic with olive oil. Wrap in foil and roast in oven approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove and let cool.
- Squeeze cloves to remove skins, discard skins.
- Whip potatoes and parsnips together. Add garlic, lobster stock, creme fraiche and butter. Continue whipping until smooth.
- Warm cream in saucepan over low flame. Adjust consistency of potatoes to liking by slowly adding cream.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Fold in diced lobster meat.