Loubieh Bi Ziet (Green Beans in Oil)
From the Fresh Tastes blog: Literally meaning "green beans in oil," food blogger Marc Matsumoto's stew is simple and vegetarian.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 400 grams onion (2 medium onions)
- 36 grams garlic (6 large cloves)
- 400 grams flat beans (a.k.a. flat beans), trimmed and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 2 teaspoons Lebanese seven spice mix
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 400 grams ripe tomatoes (6 small tomatoes) chopped
- mint for garnish
- Add the olive oil onions and garlic to a pan and saute over medium-high heat until the onions are tender and starting to brown.
- Add the flat beans, spice mixture and salt and saute until the spice mixture is fragrant and the beans are a vibrant green.
- Add the tomatoes and then cover and turn down the heat to medium low. Simmer covered until the beans are tender (about 20 minutes).
- Remove the lid and turn up the heat to medium high. Let the liquid evaporate and then saute the vegetables until the tomatoes form a thick coating around the beans (another 5-7 minutes).
- Serve warm or at room temperature garnished with mint.