- 1/2 lb. elbow macaroni cooked al dente, drained and chilled
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 lbs. cubed cheese
- In sauce pan, melt butter and saute until very tender.
- Stir in flour and season with salt and pepper.
- Blend in milk and cook until thickened.
- Remove from burner and add cheese. Mix until well blended.
- Place macaroni in large mixing bowl and add cheese, mixing until well combined.
- Pour into buttered 2 quart casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Tips/TechniquesVARIATIONS ON MACARONI AND CHEESE Add any of the following ingredients to the mixing bowl that contains the pasta prior to adding the cheese for some delicious variations on traditional macaroni and cheese:
1. 2 chicken breasts, cooked and diced combined with 2 teaspoons of fresh rosemary.
2. 2 cups of roasted turkey, either sliced or diced. Great for post-Thanksgiving meals.
3. 4 regular sized meatballs, cooked fully and quartered.