Manresa-Style Shrimp Boil
Recipe by Thy Tran
- 2 big onions cut into thin wedges
- 8 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 4 cubes chicken or fish bouillon
- 2 32-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 4 14-ounce cans whole artichoke hearts
- 3 bulbs fennel cut into thin wedges (stems and fronds reserved)
- 2/3 cup of your favorite shrimp or crab seasoning mix
- Peel from 1 lemon removed in wide strips
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes or to taste
- 1 bottle of dry white wine (optional)
- 10 lbs. wild-caught Gulf shrimp shell-on
- 1/2 cup whole parsley leaves
- Fresh lemon wedges
- Fill a very large stockpot halfway with water.
- Add the onions, garlic, butter and bouillon, then bring to a boil. Let boil for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes with their juices, artichoke hearts, fennel, seafood seasoning mix, lemon peel, red pepper flakes, and wine. Boil for 3 minutes.
- Add the shrimp, cooking in two batches if needed, and boil for 4 to 6 minutes, depending on size, just until opaque. Do not overcook.
- Stir in parsley and serve immediately: With a large net skimmer or slotted spoon, transfer the shrimp and vegetables to a big, deep platter or directly into individual bowls. Pass lemon wedges.