Maple Glazed Onion and Goat Cheese Tart
Tip: To cleanly transfer pie dough from counter into pie pan – fold rolled dough in half and then half again. Place the corner of the dough in the center of the pie pan and unfold.
- Maple Glazed Onions Ingredients
- 2 white onions
- 2 tbls. unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- Crust Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 7 tbls. cold unsalted butter cubed
- pinch of salt
- 3-4 tbls. cold water
- Filling Ingredients
- 9 ounces lively run goat cheese
- 1 cup creme fraiche
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites whipped to stiff peaks
- 2 cups maple glazed onions
- 1 tbls. chives
- salt and pepper to taste
- For the onions: In a large sauté pan melt butter, add onions and cook over medium low heat until soft and beginning to brown, 10-15 minutes. Add maple syrup, stir and continue to cook 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- For the crust: To make the dough, put the flour, butter, and salt in a food processor and, using the pulse button, process until the butter is broken down (about 5-10 pulses). Add 3 tablespoons cold water and pulse just until the mixture forms coarse crumbs; add 1 more tablespoon if necessary, but do not do more than 10 pulses.
- Transfer the dough to a sheet of parchment paper; form into a ball, and flatten to a disk.
- Wrap in the paper and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes.
- Roll out the dough on a floured work surface to a disk slightly larger than the tart pan. Carefully transfer the dough to the pan, patching any holes as you go, and pressing gently into the sides.
- To trim the edges, roll a rolling pin over the top, using the edge of the pan as a cutting surface, and letting the excess fall away.
- Tidy up the edges and refrigerate until firm, about 30-60 minutes.
- For the filling: Prick the dough all over, line with the parchment paper, and fill with beans or weights.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F for 15 minutes, then remove the paper and weights and bake until just golden, 10-15 minutes more.
- Let the tart crust cool slightly before filling. Do not turn off the oven
- Filling Directions: In the bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, add goat cheese, creme fraiche, and egg yolks. Blend until well combined.
- Then slowly add whipped egg whites until well combined. Remove bowl from mixer, using a rubber spatula fold in the onions and chives. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour filling into tart shells and bake in a 400 degree oven 15-20 minutes of until golden brown.