Try this egg recipe that uses the Indian curry flavors of cilantro, coriander, cumin and chilies for a more exciting breakfast.
(Recipe Courtesy: Marc Matsumoto from the Fresh Tastes Blog)
- 2 jumbo eggs
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander - ground
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric - ground
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- .1 ounce (3 grams or 1 small clove) garlic, grated
- 3 ounces (85 grams or 1/2 small onion) grams onion, chopped
- green and red chilies, chopped (to taste)
- (65 grams or 1 small tomato) grams tomatoes
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, cilantro, ground coriander, salt and turmeric until the whites and yolks have evenly combined.
- Add the vegetable oil and cumin seeds to a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat, and fry the seeds until they start to pop.
- Add the garlic, onions and chilies and sauté until the onions are just starting to brown around the edges and are very fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, and then pour the egg mixture over everything. Turn the heat down to medium low, and let the egg cook, using a spatula to gently stir the mixture until some curds start to form. Stop mixing, and cook until the egg is mostly set.
- Flip the omelet over and cook the other side for a few seconds. If you're not confident in your omelet flipping skills, you can stick the pan under a broiler for a few seconds (made sure the handle is oven-safe).
- Flip the omelet back over onto a plate and serve.