Mashed Kabocha pumpkins is a healthier option to mashed potatoes. Marc Matsumoto of NoRecipes shares the story behind this recipe in a full post at the Fresh Tastes blog.
- 1 medium kabocha pumpkin (2-3 pounds)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 100 grams gruyere cheese, shredded
- Cut the pumpkin in half and scoop out all the seeds and pith. Peel all the green skin off the pumpkin and cut into 1” chunks. Prepare a steamer and steam the pumpkin until tender (15-20 minutes).
- Mash the steamed pumpkin, or pass it through a potato ricer. In a microwave safe bowl, combine the butter, half and half and salt and heat for 1 minute, or until the salt and butter are melted.
- Pour half the heated cream mixture into the mashed Kabocha and stir to combine. Continue adding the cream mixture and stirring until you are happy with the texture (you may not need all of it). Add the cheese and stir to combine.