Mashed Potato Stuffed Pattypans
Try this pattypan squash recipe stuffed with mashed potatoes. You can watch Sue prepare the dish in this clip from Lakeland Cooks!
- 2 (6 to 7-ounce each) pattypan squash
- Kosher salt
- Olive oil for brushing pattypans
- 1/2 pound russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 teaspoons grated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or quarter teaspoon dried
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons grated cheese of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Rinse the pattypans to clean.
- Plop them into a pot of boiling water. Boil for 7 to 8 minutes, until softened but still firm enough to hold their shape once the insides have been scooped out.
- Remove from pot and rinse with cold water.
- Cut a lid from the stem end of each squash.
- Carefully scoop out the seeds and stringy stuff from the inside of the squash, using an iced tea spoon or baby spoon.
- Sprinkle the inside of each pattypan with salt.
- Brush outside of squash with olive oil.
- Place both squash in shallow baking dish.
- Cook potatoes in boiling water until soft.
- Place cooked, drained potatoes in large bowl. Mash with potato masher. Mix in onion, thyme, pepper, egg and cheese.
- Divide potato mixture between the two squash, mounding a generous amount on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the potatoes are a little puffy and golden brown.
Tips/TechniquesPattypans are a very cute squash that can be white, yellow or green. They have a scalloped top rim. They’re shape makes them perfect for stuffing.