- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons chicken fat or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup seltzer club soda, or chicken broth
- 1 cup matzah meal
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Mix the eggs well with a fork. Add the chicken fat or oil, soda water, matzah meal, and salt and pepper and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for several hours.
- Dip your hands in cold water and make about 12 balls slightly smaller than Ping-Pong balls.
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Add salt and place the matzah balls in the water. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes or until soft.
Tip: Joan often makes chicken soup and matzah balls ahead. After cooking the matzah balls she just places them in the warm soup, which she then freezes. The liquid keeps them fluffy. Defrost the soup, reheat, and serve. If you like them more al dente, use large eggs and cook a shorter time.
To reduce the cholesterol in this recipe, use 2 egg whites and 2 whole eggs as well as canola oil.