Matzo Ball Soup
Enjoy this super simple matzo ball soup recipe for Passover.
Prep time: 20 Minutes
Cook time: 30 Minutes
Total time: 50 Minutes
Yield: 8 servings, 2 cups each
- 1 pkg. (4.5 oz) matzo ball mix (sold in supermarkets with kosher foods)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. salt
- 64 oz. reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 large carrots, sliced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh dill
- ¼ tsp. black pepper, or to taste
- Prepare the matzo ball mix according to the package directions. (For most packages, mix the matzo meal with 4 beaten eggs and 1/2 cup oil, stir and refrigerate for 15 minutes. Do not over-mix.)
- Set a large pot of water to boil. Once it boils, add the salt to the boiling water. Using wet hands, gently form the matzo ball mixture into 1-inch balls and carefully drop them into the water. Cover the pot and cook them for 30 minutes (reduce the heat, if necessary, to keep it at a low boil).
- After adding the matzo balls to the boiling water, bring the broth to a boil in a separate large pot. Add the carrots and celery and simmer them for 15 minutes. When the matzo balls are cooked, using a slotted spoon, carefully remove them from the salted water and add them to the pot with the vegetables. (At this point you can serve the soup immediately or refrigerate it for up to 3 days). Add the dill and black pepper and serve it hot, making sure to put a matzo ball and some vegetables into each bowl.