- 1 1/2 lbs. ground pork
- 1 medium onion coarsely grated and squeezed firmly to remove excess liquid
- 1 small zucchini coarsely grated and squeezed firmly to remove excess liquid
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 to 2 chipotle chiles in adobo
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes with juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Cooked rice and chopped fresh cilantro for serving (optional)
- In a medium bowl, combine pork, onion, zucchini, egg, breadcrumbs, oregano, cumin, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; mix well with a fork. Form into 16 (2-inch) balls; transfer to a plate, and place in freezer until firm, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine tomatoes and chiles in a blender; process until smooth, and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large, straight-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the meatballs; cook until brown, turning often, 4 to 5 minutes; transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining oil and meatballs.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add pureed sauce and return all meatballs to skillet. Cover; simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes. Uncover, and simmer until sauce is thickened, 5 to 10 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper. Serve over rice, sprinkled with cilantro, as desired.