Mexican No-Churn Ice Cream
You don't need an ice cream maker to create this rich, spiced ice cream made of sweetened condensed milk and heavy cream. (Recipe Credit: Adrianna Adarme of Fresh Tastes)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup coffee beans
- 5 whole allspice berries or 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 whole cinnamon stick or 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 whole dried ancho chile (stems and seeds removed) or 1/2 teaspoon ground ancho chile powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (14-ounce) can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- To a medium saucepan, add the cream, coffee beans, allspice berries, cinnamon stick, dried ancho chile, salt and vanilla extract. Bring to a simmer. Immediately turn off the heat and cover. Allow to steep for 30 minutes. Strain, discarding the solids. Transfer the cream mixture to a bowl and stick it in the fridge until very cold, about 1 hour.
- To the bowl of a stand-up mixer, add the sweetened condensed milk. Sift the cocoa powder on top and then stir the mixture until the cocoa combines.
- Pour in the chilled heavy cream and beat with the whisk attachment until light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a parchment-lined loaf pan and freeze for at least 6 hours, ideally overnight. Serve and eat immediately. Top with sprinkles if you like.