Middle Eastern Stuffed Pitas
This is a great no-cook meal for one of those busy evenings when everyone gets home too late to make an elaborate meal, but you want to avoid eating fast food or cereal for dinner. This is also a fun appetizer or snack when served in mini pitas. Aviva Goldfarb of The Six O'Clock Scramble shares this recipes. See the full post at Kitchen Explorers.
Prep time: 15 Minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 10 ounces hummus any variety
- 1 cucumber peeled and sliced
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 1/2 yellow or red onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 6 pita pockets (get the softest and freshest you can find)
- Put all the ingredients in separate bowls so each family member can design their own sandwich. Warm the pita in the microwave oven for about 1 minute until they are very warm and soft. Cut them in half crosswise (so you have 2 semicircles), then cut the pocket open so you can fill it. Spread a layer of hummus in each pita half and top it with all the fillings or whichever sound good to you!