- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 2 slices bacon (2 ounces) finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon plain dried breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Shape these tiny meatballs, then freeze for up to three months. There’s no need to thaw before using; they will cook quickly right out of the freezer.
- In a large bowl, combine beef, bacon, parsley, garlic, Parmesan, breadcrumbs, egg, nutmeg, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Shape mixture into 40 meatballs. (For equal-size meatballs, scoop out meat mixture with a teaspoon, using two scoops for each meatball. Then roll between your palms to shape into balls.)
- Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet or on two large plates. Freeze 1 hour. Once frozen, transfer to an airtight container or resealable plastic bag; label and date.
- To use the meatballs straight from the freezer, preheat oven to 400°. Place meatballs on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until cooked through, about 15 minutes.
Tips/TechniquesNote: Frozen mini-meatballs can also be used in soup or sauce: Simmer meatballs, covered, in liquid until cooked through, about 10 minutes.