Mini Strawberry Pavlovas
Mini strawberry pavlovas are your new go-to for a make ahead, special treat. (Recipe Credit: Adrianna Adarme of Fresh Tastes)
- 4 large egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cups white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon white wine or red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Apricot Cream:
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup apricot jam (store-bought or homemade) or other jam of choice
- Pinch of salt
- For Assembly:
- 1/4 pint of berries (I used strawberries)
- To Make the Meringues: Preheat your oven to 200 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set them aside.
- To the bowl of your stand-up mixer (or you could use a bowl with a hand electric mixer), with the whisk attachment, add the egg whites, salt and corn starch. When the egg whites are foamy, with the mixer still running, pour in the sugar. Beat for an additional 2 to 3 minutes on high, until very stiff peaks form. Pour in the vinegar and vanilla extract and beat one last time until mixed.
- To the baking sheet, spoon out big dollops of meringue and using the back of a spoon, create little cavities. Repeat until you’ve worked through all of the meringue. I got about 12 meringues. You can make them as big or as large as you like.
- Bake for 2 hours, or until the meringues are dry and crisp. Turn off the heat and allow the meringues to come to room temperature.
- To Make the Apricot Cream: In a medium bowl, add the heavy cream and beat, using a an electric hand mixer, until medium stiff peaks form. Add the apricot jam and salt, in two batches, and gently mix until combined.
- To Assemble the Meringues: Right before you’re ready to serve, spoon the cream into the center of the meringues. Garnish with a few berries!