Mini Tofu Frittatas
Recipe by Mama Pea (Sarah Matheny) from the book Peas and Thank You
These "muffins" make an interesting breakfast, but don't overlook their packed lunch possibilities. Add a salad and a piece of fruit and you'll keep going all afternoon.
(Photo Credit: Ashley McLaughlin)
Yield: 8 muffin-sized frittatas
- ½ cup yellow onion, chopped (about 1/3 of a medium onion)
- 1 cup red pepper (about 1 medium pepper), chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 8-ounce can sliced olives, drained
- 1 cup organic spinach, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 16-ounce package firm or extra firm tofu, drained and crumbled
- ¼ cup grated vegan or organic mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spray 8 cups of a muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Coat a large skillet with cooking spray and add chopped onion and red pepper. Sauté for 5 to 7 minutes until vegetables have softened. Add garlic and sauté for one additional minute. Season veggies with salt and pepper and add olives, spinach and basil. Set aside.
- In a blender or food processor, add tofu, cheese, nutritional yeast and soy sauce. Blend or process until mixture is thick and creamy. Add tofu mixture to skillet with veggies and toss until fully integrated.
- Scoop out 1/8 of mixture at a time and add to each cup of your prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until top is slightly browned and firm to the touch.
Tips/TechniquesPea Points: For a pizza-inspired take on these frittatas, add chopped veggie pepperoni slices and serve with a marinara dipping sauce.
Nutrition InfoNutritional Information Per Serving: 134 calories, 9g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 1mg cholesterol, 642mg sodium, 6g carbohydrates, 3g fiber, 10g protein.