Mint Chocolate Brownies
The unbeatable combination of chocolate and mint guarantees a grand finale for holiday parties.
Prep time: 10 Minutes
Total time: 3 Hours
Yield: Makes 16
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter plus more for pan
- 8 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 25 small (1 1/2 inch) peppermint patties
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil, leaving an overhang on all sides; butter foil. Set aside.
- Place chocolate and butter in a medium heatproof bowl set over (not in) a saucepan of gently simmering water. Stir occasionally just until melted, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Whisk in sugar and salt until smooth; whisk in eggs. Gently whisk in flour and cocoa powder just until smooth (do not overmix).
- Spread 1/3 of batter in prepared pan. Arrange peppermint patties on batter in a single layer, leaving a narrow border on all sides. Top with remaining batter, and smooth surface. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs attached, 45 to 55 minutes.
- Cool completely in pan. Use foil to lift from pan; peel off foil and discard. Cut into 16 squares (4 rows by 4 rows).