Mock Chopped Liver or String Bean Vegetarian Pate
Vegetarians don't have to miss out on this classic Jewish dish. Doralee Patinkin Rubin's recipe makes a delicious string bean vegetarian pate that's rich in flavor and texture.
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 4 large onions sliced
- 2 cups canned string beans drained
- 1/2 cup canned peas drained
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a deep-frying pan, heat the oil. Add the sliced onions and sauté slowly for at least 1 hour or until the onions are caramelized.
- Place the caramelized onions, string beans, peas, eggs, and walnuts in a food processor and process until slightly chunky. You want some texture in this dish. Place in a bowl in the refrigerator for several hours.
- Serve with cocktail rye or crackers.