This mole verde recipe is featured in the Chicago episode of No Passport Required with Marcus Samuelsson, which highlights Chicago’s Mexican community to explore its heritage and cuisine.
- 1 cup sesame seeds
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 Poblano peppers, whole
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 red onion, halved
- 2 Serrano peppers, whole
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 bunch Mint
- 1 bunch Watercress
- 2 Bunches Cilantro
- 2 pieces Romaine
- 1 bunch fresh culantro leaves
- 1 bunch spinach
- 1 avocado, pitted and removed from skin
- 2 limes
- 2 tsp salt
- Over a hot grill or griddle pan, blister poblano peppers, onion, and serranos peppers until charred.
- Put in blender with oil and pulse until smooth. Pour mixture into bowl and set aside.
- In a medium pan, toast sesame seeds and pumpkin seeds until fragrant.
- In a medium stock pot, add chicken stock and heat until simmering. Add the toasted seeds into chicken stock for 10 minutes.
- Pour chicken stock and seeds into blender and pulse until smooth.
- Then add both purees to a large pan. Add oil and sauté for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- On grill or grill pan, char the herbs, spinach, and romaine until dark and then place in clean blender.
- To the blender, add water and pulse until smooth.
- Add sautéed puree mixture to the herb mixture in the blender and pulse for 3 minutes.
- Add lime juice and avocado and pulse until smooth.
- Add salt to taste.