Moo Shu Vegetable Wraps
Here is a recipe for an Asian-inspired family dinner that everyone can love. Aviva Goldfarb of The Six O'Clock Scramble shares this recipe. See the full post at Kitchen Explorers.
Total time: 25 Minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups white or quick-cooking brown rice
- 2 Tbsp. canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 yellow or white onion sliced into thin strips
- 1 zucchini cut lengthwise into quarters and thinly sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 8 – 12 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- 4 Tbsp. hoisin sauce (a Chinese marinade and dipping sauce)
- 6 whole wheat or white tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups cooked sliced chicken (optional)
- 1 teaspoon - 1 Tbsp. Asian chili sauce Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce, for serving (optional)
- Cook the rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add the onions and zucchini and cook, stirring frequently, while you chop and add the other vegetables. Stir in 2 Tbsp. hoisin sauce. Continue to sauté the vegetables for a few more minutes, stirring often, until they are tender but not mushy, 8 - 10 minutes total, from when you first added the onions and zucchini. Remove the vegetables from the heat.
- Put the tortillas on a microwave-safe plate, cover them with a damp paper towel, and heat them on high power for 1 – 2 minutes until they are very warm and soft.
- At the table, lay a tortilla on each plate and brush a little hoisin sauce (about 1 tsp.) in the middle of it with the back of a spoon. Add a scoop each of the rice, vegetables, chicken (optional) and a few drops of hot pepper or chili sauce (optional). Wrap the tortillas burrito-style.