Moules Au Vin Rouge
Mussels steamed in Pinot Noir
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons pure olive oil
- 2 shallots minced
- 12 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 8 bay leaves
- 3 cups Pinot Noir
- 4 lbs. mussels debearded and scrubbed
- 2 tablespoon chopped garlic
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 baguette
- 1-2 whole garlic cloves
- Heat butter and olive oil in a deep pot over medium heat. Add the shallots, thyme, pepper, and bay leaves cook for 2 minutes. Raise the heat to medium-high, add the wine, and bring to a boil.
- Discard any mussels with cracked or broken shells. Add the mussels to the pot and reduce the heat to medium. Cover the pot and simmer the mussels until they open, about 3-5 minutes. Discard any mussels that fail to open.
- Divide the mussels among 8 bowls. Stir the chopped garlic into the liquid left in the pot and season with salt and pepper. Finish the seasoned liquid with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil. Divide the liquid among the 8 bowls of mussels and garnish with the chopped parsley.
- Slice the baguette on an angle into long pieces, grill, and rub with the garlic cloves. Serve the grilled bread with the mussels.