Mozzarella Tomato Orzo Salad
This mozzarella tomato orzo salad is ideal for picnics since you can always make it ahead, it travels well and is easy to eat on a blanket in the grass. (Recipe Credit: Adrianna Adarme of Fresh Tastes)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Orzo Salad:
- 1 pound orzo
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 Persian cucumber, diced
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1 pound small mozzarella balls
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Give it a taste and adjust the salt and crushed red pepper to your liking. I added a bit more crushed red pepper.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook the orzo per the package’s instructions, about 7 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water immediately. Transfer to the fridge to chill, about 15 minutes. To a bowl or back to the pot, add the orzo. Top with the cherry tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, mozzarella balls and pour the dressing over it. Toss until evenly coated. Give it a taste and adjust the salt according to your liking. This is great for a party and is awesome for a make-ahead dish. Right before serving add a splash of olive oil (sometimes the pasta absorbs the dressing) and adjust the seasoning to your liking.